1. What is the HSK?
HSK stands for Hanyushuiping Kaoshi and is a Chinese language proficiency test, it is a standard test designed to check the Chinese language proficiency of non-native Chinese speakers. The HSK committee under the Ministry of Education (MOE) and is responsible for organizing the test, setting, reviewing and marking the examination paper, and issuing certificates.
2. Types of HSK
HSK consists of the basic Chinese proficiency test (HSK Basic), the elementary and intermediate Chinese proficiency test (HSK Elementary-Intermediate) and the advanced Chinese proficiency test (HSK Advanced).
3. Eligibility for HSK
1) HSK (Basic)
Learners with the basic Chinese proficiencies, namely, those who have taken 100 to 800 hours of regular modern Chinese learning (including those with the equivalent learning experiences)
2) HSK (Elementary-Intermediate)
Applicants at the elementary and intermediate level in Chinese proficiency are those who have taken 400-2000 regular hours of modern Chinese courses (including those whose proficiency in Chinese is similar to that standard).
3) The HSK (Advanced)
Designed to measure the Chinese proficiency of those who are proficient in Chinese, i.e. who have taken 3000 regular hours or more modern Chinese learning (including those whose proficiency in Chinese is similar to that standard).
4. What is the function of HSK Certificate?
1) To certify that the holder has acquired the required Chinese Proficiency to enter a Chinese college or university as an undergraduate or graduate student.
2) To certify that the holder can be exempt from taking the Chinese language course depending on the level of certification.
3) As a basis for the employers to evaluate the Chinese proficiency of the job applicants.
5. When is the HSK test held?
The HSK is held regularly both in China and overseas annually. In domestic, generally the test schedule is as follows，
HSK (Basic): twice in a year
HSK (Elementary-Intermediate): twice in a year
HSK (Advanced): twice in a year
However, the timetable is changeable; for further details concern with respective university.